Select Soft Cotton
Select Soft Cotton is an unbleached, mid-loft batting made with natural cotton, which has been needle punched with a thin stabilizer to help prevent stretching or distortion. This exceptionally soft cotton gives quilts a luxurious feel, yet adds strength and stability when embellishing. This unique batting has a two-sided, temporary, water-soluble, fusible coating that eliminates pinning and makes the quilting or embellishment process flawless!
Directions for Use and Care
Using the fusible coating (no pinning)
- All irons vary in temperature settings. It is strongly advised to create a test piece prior to doing your full quilt.
- Preheat Iron to approximately 3/4 its maximum temperature setting. This should register around a rayon or polyester setting.
- Have a misting /spray bottle with water on hand - a finer mist works well.
- Prepare batting flat on ironing board or surface.
- Spray-mist the batting lightly and evenly.
- Place the back of the fabric in desired position on the batting.
- Press evenly, one section at a time and let cool to room temperature before advancing.
- Do a test piece in advance to become comfortable with misting and fusing.
- If there is a wrinkle in the fabric it should separate from the batting with moderate resistance. Simply repeat the mist and iron process.
- After the fabric is adhered, flip over the batting and repeat the process if desired with the back or top fabric for your quilt. No pinning!
- Once the piece is quilted or embellished it can be laundered in warm water. The fusible fibers will wash away in warm water (at or above 110 Farenheit) and mild soap. DO NOT USE COLD WATER!
- If any adhesion remains after washing, increase the water temperature and rewash.
Remember this quilt batting is coated with a temporary fusible coating. It is water soluble and will dissipate once the quilt is laundered in warm water. This feature is wonderful for eliminating pinning or basting. Warning - DO NOT OVER-SATURATE - only a light mist is required for fusing.
All irons heat differently. The iron temperature given above is a starting point. It is always good to start with a lower temperature on your iron, slowly increase the temperature until you achieve a good bond. Test before beginning your project!
Remember! This fusible feature is for basting only! It is not necessary to hold excessive pressure with your iron.
Because of the natural fibers, expect up to 3-5% shrinkage. Quilt up to 8" apart.
Select Soft Cotton Resources